Happy Birthday Lord Ganesh







Well here we go....what a better way to start our blog. Yesterday was the birthday of the Hindu elephant god Lord Ganesh. Our housekeeper was so excited when we told her she could by a statue and put it in our house. I have never seen her little chubby body move that fast (other than payday...of course). Little did I know that we would have a small temple in our home.
Now, let me give you some background of this god. Ganesh is a god that has the body of a human but the face of an elephant. He is said to be the remover of obstacles and boy living in India you run into a ton of obstacles. This celebration goes on for 10 days. On the 11th day, the statue is dropped into the ocean. This ritual is to signify that he is taking away the obstacles from your home.
Another Indian tradition is to put these designs in front of the home. I apologize for the bad picture (Ryan decided to modify it a bit). Our housekeeper draws these designs,made from colored rice flower, every morning. Stay tuned for tomorrow's design.
Labels:
2 Responses
  1. Joni Says:

    Love the Blog!!!
    It's about TIME...

    Love ya!!
    Joni


  2. Michelle Says:

    HI! I'm friend's with Joni and I have met you a couple of times. I LOVE that you decided to do a blog! It's perfect for y'all!